Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pet Peeve Post


So this week I will be straying from my typical post to talk about something that I personally find a little more... well... personal. I am going to talk about one of my biggest reading/book pet peeves.

So ever since I was 8 or 9 and I really became interested in reading I have been looking for book suggestions. I love to hear about what books people are reading and what they think about them. However, I cannot stand it when someone loans me a book that I didn’t ask for.

This has happened to me several times where a friend will come up to me one day with a book in their hand and give it to me and says “You have got to read this book I loved it and I just know you will love it too.”

Don’t get me wrong I love it when people are reading and think that I should read a book and want to recommend it to be but I don’t want the book just handed to me. I want you to sit down with me and tell me about it and tell me why you loved it.

However, I have enough books to read already. I have so many books that are just sitting on my shelf waiting to be read and I now have to put them on hold because I have a book on loan to me that I did not plan to read but now feel obligated to read as soon as possible.

Because of this there have been times that I have kept a book for a week or so and then returned it without reading anything more than the back cover and tell the person that I read it and it was a good book.

This does not happen often because I do try to give every book that is given to me the fair shot that it deserves. However, some books I can read the back cover and know that it is not a book that I will enjoy and in some cases the type of book that I read.

This all came up because I was straitening my desk that has become and danger zone since I started back to school and found a book that someone had loaned me in December that I had never even heard of before. I have not read it yet. Fortunately this person does not seem to be missing it and I am pretty sure that they have forgotten they have given it to me at all.

The book is one that I would be interested in reading I just don’t have a lot of time to do so. In any case that is my rant over my big reading pet peeve. So when talking to me about books keep this in mind… PLEASE!

No comments:

Post a Comment