Saturday, March 9, 2013

Hana (Delirium #1.5) by, Lauren Oliver

Publishing House: HarperCollins
Genre: Young Adult, Science fiction
Rating: PG-13
Summary: The summer before they're supposed to be cured of the ability to love, best friends Lena and Hana begin to drift apart. While Lena shies away from underground music and parties with boys, Hana jumps at her last chance to experience the forbidden. For her, the summer is full of wild music, dancing—and even her first kiss.

But on the surface, Hana must be a model of perfect behavior. She meets her approved match, Fred Hargrove, and glimpses the safe, comfortable life she’ll have with him once they marry. As the date for her cure draws ever closer, Hana desperately misses Lena, wonders how it feels to truly be in love, and is simultaneously terrified of rebelling and of falling into line.

Reasons:
So I had seen this book when it was first published however I was a little worried about it because I have read several books that were ‘1.5’ and they were horrible. I could not stand them at all. However, Hana was a book that answered so many questions that I had from the first book.

When I started this book I really did like Hana, I felt a little bad for her because in the first book you get the feeling that Lena has abandoned her to be with Alex. However, when I finished this book I could not stand her.

Now that my little rant is over on to the review. In spite of the fact that I no longer like Hana due to this book I also loved it at the same time. Basically this book and I have a love/hate relationship. I rated this book PG-13 because it is a sort of ‘coming of age’ book.

Hana goes to parties that are against the law, their kids are doing partaking in very intimate behavior and Hana mentions that they are not at all shy about it. In one scene there is talk about a girl having her skirt hiked up, in another Hana walks into a room where there are couples going at it in every corner, in yet another there is a scene of a girl kissing another girl.

At one point a boy tries to get Hana into bed with him and on the way to that scene they walk down a hall and Hana talks about the beams across the ceiling having girls’ underwear thrown over them. If I remember right it is briefly talk about why they are there.

In all of this nothing is described but is defiantly not something for young readers.

There is also some slight cussing but it does not happen too often in the short story.

This book has an ending the broke my heart in to pieces and I have to say that if you read Delirium and enjoyed but have questions about why some things happened this is the book to get those answers. 

However, as always, the choice is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment